Friday, June 29, 2007

Tongue

THEY say that the best way to learn a language is in bed. Unfortunately, I am stuck in a timezone where names are far nowhere near moan-able. That being a criteria in my quest to conquer a tongue, this method of knowledge acquistion will have to be trashed. Tell, me...how do you very sexily say in the throes of passion..."oooh Sven, that´s it Thrxqjwhatchamcallit...." I´m a teeny bit scared of doing permanent damage to my throat.

When I arrived, eavesdropping in conversations was pretty much the norm. I could not understand anything of course but watching hand signals and eye movement quickly became a favorite sport. Divers will understand. It´s close to being underwater except that you are on dry land. It also seemed as if there was no gap between syllables. As the natives did their tongue acrobatics, I patient waited for a break...except that there wasn´t.

After 3 days, you begin to discern words. Being a woman, the first thing I learned was "Utsala" or sale. Then you learn things important to basic survival' borĂ°a for "come eat," myndd for "picture", nuna or "now," kokka for "coke...the soda," kukka for "to take a dump," lykki for "key"--the handcuffs part I will look up in a minute. You get my drift.

Today I tried to learn the colors. What I really wanted to learn were the bad words. But how do you try to sound intelligent and serious and worthy of being a co-worker when all you´ve been dying to learn were the colorful parts of a difficult language. Hmmm...maybe I should start with the body parts.

I am sure that given time, I will learn. This means actually speaking the language. One vow...learn the language before taking a holiday. I hope it won´t be too long because more than a year of being away from white sand tropical beaches can be a stretch.




No comments: